The drive for personal, professional and economic potential is either exciting or exhausting depending on the minute-to-minute mindset you’re using. For many working moms there is a deep desire to live up to the dreams conceived in our late twenties. Get out the mental checklist of mindset tools for success and see how many you’ve achieved so far… doesn’t it seem like with all that you’ve done in your life so far you ‘should be’ happier, more alive and more vibrant than ever?
Here are 3 Real Reasons Your Mindset Juggle Is Stealing Your Thunder:
- Women juggle the schedules, daily tasks, planning and organizing both professionally and personally.
- A woman’s brain is wired so that everything connects which means for every thought you have, there are 10-20 ‘sub-thoughts’ that relate to it that you’re also mentally mapping in your schedule or ‘to do list’.
- Women put energy into their family, career, health and relationships over investing in tools to help them think more effectively (and up until 10 years ago – no one knew that mental exercise was as important as physical exercise).
5 Simple Steps Professional Women With Children Can Take For More Energy & Happiness Today:
1. Notice Your Thoughts.
If you’re running on autopilot you’re likely not aware that the thoughts you’re thinking aren’t supporting your drive for personal, professional or economic potential. Even reading “economic potential” for some of you will make you internally cringe because you’re mindset is focused on lack rather than on empowerment. This doesn’t have to be this way, but it starts with noticing what you’re thinking about.
2. Stop thinking the worst of people and situations.
If you’re tired and running on empty your brain automatically defaults to worst case scenario – often making you believe that others are against you or are doing things because they don’t care about you. Challenge these thoughts and find the silver lining especially when you’re tired. When you allow the autopilot brain to win, you’ll being making up scenarios in your mind that are often not true. Preventing worst case scenario thinking increases your energy for two reasons. First, it stops your brain from using the energy you need for action on spiralling on ‘what if situations’. Second, it prevents your mood from tanking and cortisol from being produced – both take you off your game. Once you challenge your thoughts, think of one simple thing you’re grateful for. It will interrupt the thought and redirect your mindset.
3. Interrupt the desire to fix and do everything for your children.
You’re being pulled and pushed in many different directions, you cannot make everything ‘perfect’ for your children no matter how hard you try. Mommy shame and guilt is real, but you can take control of it. Start by acknowledging that your children are meant to experience the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s what is going to turn them into rock star adults. Adversity and challenges are never a bad thing for children and allowing them to work through their problems or situations is an important part of learning. They won’t get it perfect and that’s the point. They too need to fail and falter to learn. Taking the responsibility of their daily experiences off your to do list will help both of you.
4. Invest in your mindset.
At the rate of change and disruption this world is going through, we’re seeing a significant rise in depression, overwhelm and burnout. In fact, Carmen Chai reported on Global News that 500,000 Canadians miss work each week because of mental health concerns.
Training your mindset for results is about more than yoga and meditation. You want to learn specific tools to help you redirect your thoughts in situations that are relevant to yourself. Situation visualization and learning practical tools will allow you to do this. In fact, learning to train your thinking so that your mindset works for you rather than against you is an investment in your future and your family. It will not only keep you healthier, it will help you reach the personal and professional goals you can still go after!
5. Smile. Even when you don’t feel like it.
Smiling stimulates the neurotransmitters in your brain needed to release the chemicals that make you feel happy.
- Stuck in traffic? Smile. Crank the tunes and rock out.
- Just lost the client you thought you’d landed? Smile. You’ll get another one that was better suited.
- Your child has gone mad and seems to have turned into an alien in front of your very eyes? Smile. They’re learning and feeling.
- Your dreading your workout and are considering not going. Smile. Think of how good you’re going to feel afterwards.
Whatever you’re faced with a smile can interrupt the negative emotions and feelings that stimulate cortisol.
Use these 5 Simple Steps Professional Women With Children Can Take For More Energy & Happiness today and interrupt the negatives and give yourself the gift of energy and happiness … are you smiling yet?
CEO & Founder of Wealthy Woman Warrior™
Andrea created her proprietary mindset training, Power To Thrive™ over 15 years ago. We're now in a time where one's environment is constantly changing and pushing people mentally to their limits - if you don't have tools in place to help you navigate disruption, you simply need to get it. Invest in your mind and your success will follow.
Andrea Carter is on a mission to empower 1 million women to reach their economic potential by 2025. She believes that through collaboration and these 5 pillars women can rise to relevance.